Meet Arimo from Arimo Travels. Currently part way through his trip around the world, Arimo from Lappeenranta, Finland uses his blog to inspire others to throw themselves into the world of adventuring!
From visiting North Korea, ending up in the wrong country to getting mugged, today Arimo Travels joins me for Travellers 10 Questions where we can learn more about his travelling experiences, tips and tricks.
1. Where was your last trip? What was the best part about it?
My latest trip is still ongoing! I started a 2-year trip around the world in May 2016. I’ve visited over 30 countries on my trip so far, but I haven’t decided my next destination yet. I really enjoy the freedom of such a long trip. I don’t need to hurry from place to place, and I can change my plans whenever I feel like it.
Wow, you’ve been going a while then! Freedom to plan and do what you want is pretty easy going.
2. What is the best place you’ve been to and why?
For me, travelling is always more about the people than the places. I wouldn’t call it the best place, but North Korea was definitely the most interesting.
I’ve checked your post out and I would definitely agree that it’s an interesting place, but probably the opposite of easy going which you seem to go for! I would love to visit it for myself.
3. Would you describe yourself as a happy budget travelling, prefer luxury holidays or somewhere in the middle?
I’m not a strict budget traveller, but I’m definitely leaning more on the cheapskate side.
Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate!
4. What’s the most embarrassing or weirdest (if you’re not brave enough to tell me about your most embarrassing moment) thing happen to you while travelling?
Not exactly embarrassing, but quite amusing: me and my friend travelled to Romania by accident. It was a very interesting 16-hour train journey once we realised we were heading to the wrong country!
This is hilarious! Just the type of thing my sister would do.
5. What was the scariest moment you’ve encountered while travelling?
I was mugged on my first InterRail trip in Europe. It did make me afraid of walking in the night in strange cities for a very long time, but it was also a useful experience. I’ve learned to be more careful since then, and I’ve managed to stay safe for the last five years.
You live to learn!
6. What’s the strangest or most amazing thing you’ve eaten and where did you eat it?
I was couchsurfing in Kerala, India, last year. My host family owned a little organic farm where they were growing all sorts of fruits, plants and herbs. When we walked in the farm with my host, he would pick up and let me taste dozens of different fruits and herbs! That experience was just incredible.
This sounds amazing!
7. What is your favourite social custom or tradition that you’ve encountered while travelling?
I love the Indian head shake! It’s a nice way to acknowledge another person without saying a thing.
I totally agree.
8. What’s your top travel tip?
Don’t plan too much.
9. What can’t you travel without?
Earplugs. Besides giving you good night’s sleep, they can also be very useful in public transport.
My life/sleep saviours too!
10. If you won the lottery, where would be the first place you’d book to go?
A zero gravity flight could be interesting!
Like this? Make sure you check out my other interviews at Travellers 10 Questions!
Pin it for Later!